Someone, Please Notice Her Bow

My 6 year old daughter, Laci, got a new bow this weekend. Not just any bow, her first "Jo Jo" bow. I
had no idea there was a certain name, or brand of these "big bows" I see girls wearing, but Laci knew. Oh, she knew. And she is overjoyed for her first, "Jo Jo" bow. She could have gotten a small bow, but she REALLY wanted a big one, so that's what she picked out. Last night, she made sure to pick out her favorite outfit that just so happens to match her new bow. She was already excited to start Monday with her favorite outfit, new bow and of course we had to do a "high ponytail" to go with that bow. She got up early, got dressed, got ready and handed me the brush to get that high ponytail just right and get that bow situated right on top of her head.

As she starts this fine, Monday morning I can't help but hope that someone, anyone, at some point throughout the day will notice her bow. That is truly all it will take for her to have an amazing day. She's feeling good about it and great about herself and just wants someone to notice her bow.

Yesterday was the Fall Festival in my hometown. The whole town came together to serve others who came to enjoy in the feast prepared by the townspeople. I did my citizenly duty and worked my 4 hour shift waiting tables. There were many people I got to interact with during that time, but one very brief interaction stands out to me. It was near the end and things were starting to wind down. An older gentleman, whom I'd never seen before, was getting up from his seat and came over to me and asked if he could tell me something. I leaned in so I could hear what he was saying. He informed me he just wanted to let me know that I had very pretty eyes and then he smiled and he was on his way. This very short interaction made my day. Heck, here I am a day later and still feeling like I've got some nice eyes.

This really gets me thinking about how many students enter school each day hoping someone will notice their bow, shoes, shirt, eyes, smile, or maybe just them. This is a great reminder to myself as a teacher, that so many students just want noticed. They don't want to be told to sit quietly and work and learn. They crave to have someone truly notice and get to know them as an individual.

So now I'm challenging myself today to notice bows, and eyes, and shirts, and PEOPLE. Just notice them. I need to tell my students they have pretty eyes, or look nice, or ask them about their day or weekend. These very short interactions can truly make the day of someone else. I challenge you to do the same today and hope in the bottom of my heart that someone, anyone will please notice Laci's bow.

Make it a great Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Super Cool Tech Tools

Make Math Fun